Welcome to Play Cello Music Academy

Home of the Cello Club

Join the Cello Club to take your cello playing to the next level!

Features:

• Live Lessons & Warm-Ups

Fortnightly online live lessons teach you tunes by ear, and how to play the chords that accompany them. Learn Irish, Bluegrass, Jazz, Classical, Contemporary. Learn to groove, swing, rock and chop. Club members welcome to suggest music. An easy bitesized way to build a memorized repertoire. Warm-ups in this module keep your technique relaxed and supple.

• Club Hang

Fortnightly session where you can listen and play for other cellists from around the world. The chance to perform regularly with minimal pressure and positive feedback has helped many club members reach their goals. Join the friendly space for a proven way to combat performance anxiety. Get excited!!

• Community

Be inspired by other cellists. Share your questions, thoughts and tips with all of the cello club members. Ask Ilse cello questions, share videos of your playing or problems and get feedback.

• Music Library

Here you will find an ever growing library of cello music. Including Irish tunes, cello duets, solo pieces, music shared from club members, and music composed and arranged by Ilse. An incredible saving on buying new music.

• Video Archives

All live lessons, warm-ups and the Club Hang will be archived for you to access. Anything you miss you can catch up with in your own time. Over 70 hours of live lessons to explore!

• Courses

BONUS - All currently available and future courses created by Ilse are included in your membership. Irish Airs for Solo Cello, Trad on Cello 1 and 2, Misty Mountains, Easy Irish Cello, Reel in the Year, all past lessons, warm-ups...and more added regularly.

Membership Options

Pay by month or SAVE $104 with annual membership!

Take a Cello Course

Not ready to join the Cello Club to get live lessons and all the courses included?

Enjoy Professional, Fun and Informative Lessons

Check out ALL COURSES tab or try one of these now!

"Best online cello instructor ever!"

Make a new start. Join the Cello Club. Be part of something creative and fun.

Director

MA (Hons) Music Ilse de Ziah

I love to help cellists find new approaches to playing cello. I have been running the Cello Club for three years. It is full of inspiration and great ideas. I love it! I ran many workshops for cellists and other string players over the years, taught chamber music at University College Cork, musical director of the Cork Light Orchestra, a member of the contemporary 'deep listening' Quiet Music Ensemble. I tour as duo De Ziah & Date with the virtuosic guitarist Ian Date. I also work in theatre and make films. I play cello in many different styles, from Irish, Jazz, Rock and Roll to Classical. This has given me a broad experience of getting the most out of the cello. I am always exploring new ideas and ways to push cello boundaries! I saw a need for quality solo pieces that are challenging but not impossible, sound great, develop technique and are perfect for performance and I compose, arrange and publish this music. I create music for cellists, so that when someone asks, "play for me, I love the cello", there is an alternative to Bach. (beautiful though he is!) I help students improve through playing music they love; to develop technique, style, memory, and confidence.

CHECK OUT MY YouTube CHANNEL!

Watch Intro Video

"An Incredible Cello Community!"

Play video to hear what members are saying.

"So Supportive"

Mary

"I am so enjoying the Cello Club. You are so supportive of all of us, and it seems as though the group is already meshing so nicely. It is great to have the opportunity to interact with other cellists on this path. It is wonderful for companionship despite my starting so late in life. What lovely people you have attracted."
  • Club Hang

1.5hr session. Sundays at 7pm Irish time, 8pm CEST, 2pm EDT, 11am PDT. Play for each other and discuss any cello issues and ideas

• Lessons

1 hour lesson. Every other Sunday at 7pm Irish time, 8pm CEST, 2pm EDT, 11am PDT. Learn a tune and its chords by ear

• Enjoy the lesson with others

There's time to ask questions at the beginning and end of the lesson! Lesson times may vary. Reminders are sent every Thursday.

star rating

5 star rating

Better than I anticipated

Carmen Robinson

This is the exact kind of sound and teaching style I have been searching for. Thank god for YouTube. I will finally get cello lessons-take that COVID! I'm...

Read More

This is the exact kind of sound and teaching style I have been searching for. Thank god for YouTube. I will finally get cello lessons-take that COVID! I'm ecstatic and cannot wait to show off

Read Less
5 star rating

Eamonn a' Chnuic - Ned of the Hill

Chris Walher

The demonstrations are inspiring and very instructive

The demonstrations are inspiring and very instructive

Read Less
5 star rating

fun and very professional

Anne Becker

loving this cello course...high standard and great resources with online support.

loving this cello course...high standard and great resources with online support.

Read Less
5 star rating

just great, especially for beginners!

Michael weremay

5 star rating

boolavogue

Roberta Lasnik

i loved learning the tune be ear.

i loved learning the tune be ear.

Read Less

Expand your repertoire and style.

Be motivated. Be inspired. Get excited.

• Convenient

Learn at your own pace from your living room, bedroom or on holiday.

• Accessible

All you need is your cello and a laptop, tablet or smartphone.

• Effective

Allow inspiration to strike and become the cello player you want to be.

Get Access to everything - Join the Cello Club!

Pay Monthly or Yearly to access 80+ hours of video lessons worth over $2000, sheet music and recorded material worth over $600 PLUS ongoing weekly sessions.

• $52.00 / month

Cello Club

JOIN NOW
  • $520.00 / year

Cello Club

Yearly membership gives you two months FREE
    JOIN NOW

Perhaps you’ve already taken a few lessons and learned the fundamentals…

Are you looking to pick up the cello again after many years? Do you want to start back where you left off? Are you an amateur or professional cellists needing a boost of confidence? Do you get crippled with nerves at the thought of playing in public? Whatever your starting point, if you are playing the cello, you might relate to one of the following…

• You want more confidence to play for your partner, friends and family

• You have the goal of playing in front of an audience in an orchestra, ensemble, solo concert, trad or jam session

• You want to create your own arrangements like you’ve heard your favourite musicians do

• You want to experience the simple satisfaction of playing in tune, relaxed and with a great tone

• More than anything… you have a desire to be a better cellist!

• You want to be more relaxed when playing but find it difficult

• You find yourself getting nervous or lacking confidence when you play for your teacher, or when someone asks you to play

• You find it hard to motivate yourself, keep the inspiration and maintain momentum to keep up a regular cello routine

• You can’t find music that isn’t necessarily classical that is great for performance and satisfying to play

• You continually search for how to make that velvety, rich and sonorous sound

• You already learn from a teacher but need that extra bit of community support, inspiration and connection with others

Be Inspired, Get Motivated, Be Social, Love Cello...

Be part of something special!

WELCOME TO THE CELLO CLUB!

The cello club helps you become a better cellist by;

• Participating in Cello Club Meetings where you get comfortable playing in a non-judgemental environment playing for each other every fortnight and overcome performance anxiety

• Giving you the skills and practice of playing by memory in the cello club lessons, so you don’t have to read music all the time

• Giving you the tools to create your own arrangements and be able to play along in any musical situation

• Discovering and Exploring Irish music and how to develop an authentic sound

• Having a community space to share and ask questions of other cellists on the cello journey

• Having access to an ever growing library of cello sheet music and growing your repertoire

Introducing Your All-access membership…

Cello Club Lessons

Live group lessons via Zoom. Every fortnight learn tunes and how to accompany them.

Be guided through melodies of every style. We will use Irish, other traditional tunes, classical melodies, rock, folk, and basically anything that can be played on the cello.

We look at chords and learn how to accompany the tunes.

In learning the melodies, and developing your accompaniment skills, you develop your arranging and composition skills and find a way to play with any music in any situation. We explore the techniques, harmonic concepts and challenges the tunes present.

We practice learning by heart, or practice sight-reading by using the music provided. 

Warm-ups

Warm-ups that work are essential to help you sound better when you practice and play. I will give you new ideas to work on each month and help you explore and develop your technique.

Club Hang

Every fortnight, the Cello Club meets via Zoom. Join cellists from around the world to play a new piece you are working on, talk about cello and get positive feedback from each other.

If you experience performance anxiety and nervousness, this is a great way to meet the challenge of performing for others.

Get the motivation to work towards a performance in a non judgemental space. Watch, listen, learn and get inspired by one another. There is no pressure to play unless you want to. You are as welcome to listen as to play. 

Video Archives

All live lessons, warm-ups and meetings will be archived for you to access. Anything you miss you can catch up with in your own time, and you can review your performance on anyone else’s from the Club Hang.

Community

There are two social spaces;

Cello Club Chat - Share music and ideas, and videos, connect, be social, get inspired.

ASK ILSE - A space for you to upload your videos and problem sections of your playing, and I will give you feedback and advice. Other members can also help with tips and ideas. 

This space is helpful if you have trouble making your playing be heard because of your internet connection during the Club Hang.

Important Note!

If you join the Cello Club and can NOT make any of the live lessons, you are still in the Club and have 100% access to everything that happens live. There is so much for all cellists to enjoy, and if you prefer not to take the Club hang or Lessons, or can not make the time, you will benefit from all that the Cello Club offers. The LIVE aspect is completely optional.

For all cellists, amateur and professional.

The Cello Club is for you if you want to;

• Overcome the tension of playing for others and playing in general

• Get motivated to play regularly

• Be inspired and get ideas to expand your repertoire and style

• Learn music by memory

• Play in any situation in an impromptu manner

• Create your own music and arrangements 

• Get regular feedback

• Accumulate an arsenal of knowledge that will help you in all aspects of your cello playing

Join a supportive Community!

Want to be more relaxed playing in front of others?

The answer is to play regularly for a group of cellists!

Sound scary? 

It’s exciting, and surprisingly uplifting. 

Overcome your tensions and get used to playing relaxed whilst a little adrenaline rushes through you!

Support others doing the same, and enjoy the friendly banter.

Come and try it, you can see how it goes. I can't wait to meet you there!

FAQ

• I used to play and want to get back into it. Is this for me?

Yes whatever your level, you will find the support to ease back into cello playing. Take it at your own pace.

• Do I have to play during the Club Hang?

Some players like to just listen until they are comfortable to play. There is no pressure, but I always welcome people to even start with something very simple to get used to get the benefits and get into the swing of things.

• I have been playing for many years but not professional. Will this be too easy or too advanced for me?

The cello club is suitable for all levels of playing and you will benefit whatever level you are.

• What if I want to cancel my subscription?

You can cancel at any time, just contact us and we can help.

• I have a few more questions can I email you?

Yes please contact me through SUPPORT and I will get back to you.

• Is it worth joining if I don't want to take part in the live lesson and Club Hang?

By joining the Cello Club you have access to all the material that is offered live. This is continually growing. Many members cannot make the live lesson but still do the lessons and watch back on the Club hang sessions. There is so much to learn and do without the live sessions. However, for great feedback and chance to play and meet the other members, it is recommended to come along now and again, even if you don't actually play!

• If I join and change my mind, can I get a refund?

Yes. If you have joined and find the Cello Club is not for you, you can request a full refund.

Cello Club Membership Includes Everything!

Enjoy ALL these courses included with your Cello Club Membership OR make a selection without membership.

Club News

Thank You